This pattern can be made in 2 different variations, either as a dress or a skirt.
The dress has a tightfitting bodice with princess seams where piping is sewn in along the edges. The back is formed by two backpieces which cross over each other and are sewn together with the side seam from the front bodice. The skirt has two pleats on the front piece and pockets while the back piece sits snugly at the waist on the back, as the back skirt is finished with an elastic band. Although the bodice is fitted it does not sit too tightly as the crossing back pieces create natural ease. Similarly, the skirt is also comfortable to wear due to the elastic in the back.
Don't be intimidated by the very narrow finished waist measurement! It is deceptively small because of the elastic at the back!
Tightly woven fabric of medium thickness with a little drape or a crisp feel. The fabric should be without stretch or only a small amount of stretch. The fabric can be made of natural fibres (e.g. cotton, viscose, silk, linen, etc.) or synthetic fibres (e.g. polyester, nylon, etc.) or a mixed product. Recommended weaves include plain weave, twill, crepe etc.
Thin and delicate fabric as well as all knitted fabric types.
4 / 5
Estimated time required:
8 - 12 hours
Classification of degrees of difficulty:
- Beginner friendly: No zips, buttons, fusible materials or difficult techniques
- Manageable: Introduction to new techniques everybody can learn
- Moderate: pre-existing knowledge of sewing is recommended. Focus on finishes
- Difficult: Confidence with sewing is essential
- Advanced: Focus on techniques, precision work and details